Wednesday, August 31, 2011

In The Works: Unfinished Novels

I currently have an embarrassment of unfinished stories/story ideas in the works, some hundreds of pages into the writing process.  Mainly what happens for me is that I stop getting feedback and/or my readership seems to lose interest, and so I lose interest.  I feel like there's a chance I could finish at least one of these before the end of the year though, at least a first draft (although sometimes I move to a second or even third draft before even finishing!), just to have some kind of approachable goal with my purely speculative creative work.

The titles are:

"College Boy" -- literary/noir fiction.  A depressive, nihilistic heir to a family fortune seeks vengeance against the drug kingpin who stole his innocence.

"Thirst" -- fantasy/horror fiction.  A vampire describes the process by which his connection to his own humanity is degraded and yet somehow never fully dissipates, despite his ability to commit unspeakable atrocities.

"Switch" -- literary/noir fiction.  A precocious youth in 1970's Portland befriends a wealthy, charismatic classmate whom he suspects of being a sociopath and future dictator.

"Shooting Script (Working Title)" -- fantasy/horror fiction.  An up-and-coming Hollywood screenwriter becomes embroiled in an epic conflict between Good and Evil, wherein angels enlist his help using the gift of his imagination to discover why God has apparently abandoned them.

In addition to these I have several partially finished science fiction story ideas that didn't make it past the first few chapters.  If anyone is interested in seeing samples of these please let me know.

No comments: